Maitland Private Client Services
Maitland is a global advisory and administration firm providing seamless multi-jurisdictional legal, tax, fiduciary, investment and fund administration services to private, corporate and institutional clients. Founded in Luxembourg in 1976, we specialise in complex, cross-border solutions, with 1,300 employees operating from 16 offices across 12 countries. We are privately owned and fully independent, administering funds for multiple investment managers and sponsors, with over $280 billion in assets under administration.
An opportunity has arisen for a Senior Manager – Private Client Services to join in our JHB office.
Summary of the position
The successful applicant will be responsible for managing the South African Private Client Transactional Services area, located in the Cape Town and Johannesburg offices of Maitland in South Africa, which is responsible for the day to day administration of South African trusts, curatorship and deceased estates and the affairs of private clients (“Private Client Transactional Services”).
In addition, the incumbent will be required to perform a Business Development and client relationship role for Maitland’s Private Client business as well as take a seat on the Board of Directors of Matiland’s corporate clients in Johannesburg.
Some travel may be involved particularly to other locations in which Maitland operates.
Outline of main duties and responsibilities
The Incumbent will be expected to:
- Providing leadership and guidance to the staff in the administration team and to motivate and encourage staff, including conflict management, performance management and staff development;
- Taking responsibility for the performance of the administration team;
- Developing and implementing and/or updating processes and procedures for streamlined administration in conjunction with colleagues in other jurisdictions. Ensuring that Maitland fulfills its role as trustee, executor or agent of the executor, and as such, performs its duties and responsibilities in accordance with its powers (taking into account the provisions of each trust deed, and with due regard to relevant law and Maitland directors’ resolutions);
- Liaising and communicating effectively and professionally with the Key Account Managers and Client Service Managers on all administration issues and ensuring that good relations and lines of communication are maintained;
- Representing the group to local authorities, e.g. regulatory authorities, in liaison with Compliance;
- Acting as a “designated officer” and “A” signatory in the Johannesburg office on behalf of Maitland;
- Acting as a director and trustee for Maitland clients as required;
- Provide technical legal support on tax and other issues, including advice on the establishment and administration of trusts to ensure that such structures are implemented correctly;
- Provide guidance and take responsibility for the documents produced by the administration team. Ensuring that annual file reviews take place including investment portfolio reviews which must be done in association with an accredited financial advisor. Ensure compliance with the Trust Property Control Act and guidelines relating to record keeping and reporting procedures in the conduct of trust administration as well as keeping abreast of recent court decisions and legislative updates applicable to trusts;
Estates and Wills
- Participation in client meetings and provision of service management to facilitate the take-on of new deceased estate administration matters and Wills;
- Acquiring and retaining high-net-worth individuals as clients for Maitland;
- Developing and maintaining a distribution network for Maitland’s pension products, including the Constantia International Pension Scheme and the Employer Funded International Pension Schemes, through the intermediated private client industry;
- Developing and maintaining a referral network;
- Developing a business plan and sales strategy for the market that ensures attainment of company sales goals and profitability;
- Managing the defined market intelligence gathering and communication process;
- Working with the centralized marketing function to ensure appropriately targeted marketing and profile raising activities;
- Regularly updating MERIT on target market participants prioritized by prospective rankings and on existing Private client opportunities prioritized by prospective rankings;
- Providing monthly, detailed and complete reports on the status of the business development pipeline;
- Providing monthly detailed updates of progress against budget;
- Supporting the group’s business development team in Africa;
Key client management
- In addition to the main duties described in the preceding paragraph the role may also involve client management duties in relation to which the role will report to the Head of Client Management. These may include:
- Acting as a key account manager for important clients in Johannesburg and being their main point of contact with the firm;
- Liaising with operational teams where necessary to ensure that obligations in terms of client mandates are met;
- Developing cross-selling opportunities by promoting of the Maitland service catalogue to existing clients;
Skills and experience required
The successful candidate will:
- The position will require the recruitment of a manager with extensive relevant fiduciary industry experience of which a large proportion must have been in a management role;
- A legal or accounting tertiary qualification or the relevant financial institution industry-specific qualifications;
- A service-orientated, dynamic, people’s person with ability to build the business;
- The ability to deal with clients empathetically and patiently in potentially emotional situations whilst maintaining a professional manner at all times;
- Excellent communication, management and interpersonal skills;
- A high degree of diplomacy, tolerance, natural confidence and enthusiasm;
- A track record of successfully working within a team;
- The ability to analyse situations and initiate corrective action timeously where necessary;
- The ability to work in a pressurised and demanding environment;
- A systematic work method and attention to detail;
- The ability to remain highly motivated and focused towards the key measurements of the job.
- A sound knowledge of fiduciary services including tax, estate planning and trust administration is essential;
- Alternatively, a sound knowledge of corporate services including offshore planning and Boardroom experience;
- Able to manage and work with teams involved in multiple disciplines across different locations;
- The ability to deal with both operational/procedural and client issues;
- A good working knowledge of MS office and IT packages;
- The ability to take ownership of individual issues and ensure they are resolved to the satisfaction of the internal or external client and Maitland.
Solid track record of:
- Consulting with clients, trust administration processes and procedures or corporate administration;
- Exposure to insourcing processes and strategies;
- Must demonstrate a consciousness and awareness of our market intelligence and an ability to assist in building the business;
- Previous managerial experience within a FAIS authorised financial services provider an advantage;
The Senior Manager – Private Client Services will report to the Head of Private Client Services.
Remuneration will be market related and commensurate with experience and seniority. In addition, the successful candidate will receive a competitive benefits package.
Email your CV to Lynn Alkana firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to download the job spec in PDF format.